This morning we schlepped over to Mahoney’s Garden Center in Winchester for their first day of the Winchester Winter Farmers Market. My first thought was perhaps we had run into a craft fair – only two farms were in attendance with produce, a shocking sight after getting used to the Somerville Winter Farmers Market’s 5-7 weekly farm vendors. 😦
I was determined to support opening day though and this is what we came home with:
Starting clockwise with the wine:
- Seyval Blanc 2010 – Coastal Vineyards, South Dartmouth
- Organic kale, spinach and Brussels sprouts – Oakdale Farms, Rehoboth
- Beef & Cheese Pie – KO Pies, South Boston
- Chicken Pie – Centerville Pie Co., Centerville
- Maine Farmed Salmon – CC Lobsters and Fish, Hull
- Bread – Cannistraci Fine Foods, Wakefield/Melrose
- Seeds for Sprouting – Mahoney’s, Winchester
As you can see I brought my omnivore partner with me. 🙂 We couldn’t find the promised cheese vendors and I was sorely disappointed in the lack of produce. I asked about next week’s vendors but none of the greenhouse’s employees knew if more vendors would be coming in the future or if this was it. Unfortunately this is not going to be on my regular list of winter markets to visit since I purchase a great deal of vegetables and produce and try to source as many ingredients within the 150 mile radius of my home as possible.
Pros: Warm shopping environment with tons of natural light (it was sunny out but in the low 30s), gets the ‘juices’ flowing for planning the 2012 garden.
Cons: Crowded aisles, pricier than other markets I’ve been too, very little local produce – if you’re looking for a scarf, puzzle or cookies you’re golden though. Ha!
Deets: Saturdays 10am-2pm January 14th to March 17th
Mahoney’s Winchester – 242 Cambridge St., Winchester, MA 01890, 781-729-5900.